There is still plenty of time for apple picking! Harbes Family Farm has a 15-acre orchard in Riverhead where you can pick many different varieties of apples in October including Shizuka, Crimson Topaz, Suncrisp, and Maslin Pink Lady. For a full list of apple varieties and activities at Harbes, check out their website: http://www.harbesfamilyfarm.com/apple-picking/
Then follow the recipe below to make these delicious toffee apples:
Toffee Apple Recipe
To poach apples:
2 liters of water
220g brown sugar
5 tsp vinegar
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp popping candy
1. Poach the apples for 25 min in the water with vanilla pod, or other spice if you prefer. Leave to cool.
2. In a heavy, medium-sized pot, place the brown sugar, water, vinegar, golden syrup and butter, and cook on a medium heat until melted. You’ll know it’s ready when it’s a golden colour and has stopped bubbling.
3. Make sure the apples are cool and dry. Stick a lollipop stick in each one and dip into the toffee. Hold above the pot until all excess has dripped off.
4. Dip the apples in the popping candy or topping of your choice!
5. Place on parchment paper to cool.
6. Store in a dry place.